Kerry Washington, the star of ABC’s Scandal, recently attended the SAG-AFTRA Foundation’s 7th Annual Golf Classic event in California, looking ravishing as she collected her ‘Art Inspiration’ award – and though she was also honoured for her charitable efforts, we at SPICE could not help but ‘honour’ her gorgeous beauty look…
Making Ms Washington our Beauty Spot of the week, we can’t help but commend the yummy mummy who is expecting her second child, for her brightly-painted nails and pop pink lip.
Doing pregnancy chic with a side of colourful fun, the star cradled her baby bump – covered by a white and yellow dress – and left us itching to replicate the pink and yellow details ourselves this weekend.
Want to try Kerry’s cool on for size? Try these beauty tips from Team SPICE…
1. First, tackle the lipstick by making sure to pick the right pink shade to suit your skin tone – a crucial step if you want to pull off the look. As a general rule, those with warmer complexions should go for a cooler-toned lipstick, and vice versa.
2. Once you’ve selected your lip colour, choose a lipliner in the same or similar hue and draw around your pout. This step will ensure your colour keeps within your lips for longer, preventing the colour from bleeding out as you wear it.
3. Once liner’s applied, fill in your lips with the lipstick, starting in the middle and blending with your fingers to the edges. This will create a stained look that will act as a base.
4. Next, blot with a tissue between the lips, and then re-draw over the lips in full, with the lipstick. This will build the depth of colour and ensure it really pops!
5. Finish with a dot of clear lipgloss, or better still, a balm in the centre of the lips. We lie EOS’ lip balm in “mint” (N1,500 here) Blend this out with your finger for a natural-looking suppleness.
1. Before painting nails, it’s important to keep them in check with a bit of buffing and shaping. Simply use a nail file to smooth edges and create your desired nail shape.
2. Prep for nail polish application by using a nail varnish remover and cotton pad to clean the nails, and remove old nail colour, invisible oils and debris.
3. Next, another important step… Before painting your nails with colour, apply a clear base coat that will not only hold the colour on for longer, but protect nails from becoming stained (because nail polish + sunlight = stained nails).
We like Elf’s “3-in-1 Base Top and Strengthener”, which can be used later as a top coat too. Apply two coats, allowing to dry properly in-between.
4. Once the base is dry, apply your chosen nail polish. We like Kleancolor’s jai laquer in “Neon Yellow” (₦ 450, here). Apply two light coats, allowing to dry thoroughly in-between.
5. Finish with a top coat to protect the hue and have your nails looking fresher for longer.
Et voila – you’ve a bright look that would leave even Kerry Washington impressed! But show us your bold lips and nails online, by tagging us on Instagram @SPICETVAFRICA.
Image source: Popsugar.com, Jumia.com, Konga.com