While we’re busy dwelling on our ‘love of fashion’ this month, we at SPICE are thinking about the best way to stay on trend as we battle the upcoming Fashion Week calendar – and with so many shows and streetstyle to see in so little time, thank heavens for braids coming back ‘on-trend,’ and better still, the messy versions that have been seen doing the rounds on the catwalks.
While braided looks have been worn by women (and men – Jared Leto) since who knows when, their popularity on this season’s runways shows sees the industry’s love for the look go into overdrive. At Suno, we were presented with fluffed fishtail braids; Donna Karan’s models rocked bulky rope braids; Mara Hoffman did tousled tassels; Bibhu Mohapatra opted for a braided bun; Giorgio Armani’s models were seen with knots and braids; Marco de Vincenzo went for colourful fishtails; there were low, messy braids at Michael Kors; and Lisa Folawiyo did braids sleekly. Yes, Spring/Summer’15 saw braids alright – one might say, in abundance….
It’s not just on the catwalks that we’ve been spying braids though, with many of our favourite celebrities also picking up on the trend;
Looking to stay on-trend, or steal a little of Lupita’s style? Or perhaps you’ve read the classic BDSM romance, 50 shades of Grey, and are itching to rock a braid when you go see the film when it’s released this Valentine’s Day (as an ode to all the plaiting and weaving Christain Grey does in the book)? Simply follow our step-by-step method below and you’ll achieve this easy-to-do, chic hair trend in no time;
GET THE LOOK
(The easy, breezy braid seen at Mara Hoffman’s Spring/Summer’15)
1. First, mist clean, dry hair with a dry shampoo to create matte texture, which will help hair stay in place. We at SPICE recommend Ambiance Dry Shampoo, £14.99 here.
2. Next, separate the hair into three sections and gather the back section into a low, loose ponytail, securing this with an elastic.
3. Braid the ponytailed piece using a standard 3-strand technique, then secure the end with an elastic. Gently knead the braid to loosen it for a relaxed look.
4, Take the two remaining pieces of hair sectioned at the back and wrap them around the center braid, securing with an elastic.
5. Pull pieces of hair from the front, allowing them to fall and frame the face, and creating a faux-bob look.
6. Lastly, fix the finished look with a touch of hairspray so the braid will remain in place all day.
Et voila, you’re trendy! Don’t forget to tell us in the comments section below which of the braids is your favourite and show us how you faired with the Mara Hoffman-style look via Instagram or on Twitter, tagging us @SPICETVAFRICA.
Image source: Fashionisers.com, Styleblazer.com, Popsugar.com, Thevandallist.com, Thestyleandbeautydoctor.com, Thegreyestghost.wordpress.com