As we step into November and firmly into the Autumn/Winter’14 season, beauty seems to be taking inspiration from our surroundings, with leaves and Christmas decor all turning a similar shade of gold. And, from catwalks to red carpets, the trend for bold golds on lips, lids and even foreheads is building momentum, with us at SPICE desperate to get involved.
We’ll be following the lead from designer Simone Rocha and the team at top label Altuzarra, who sent models onto Autumn/Winter runways wearing a shimmering, attention-seeking wash of gold to amazing effect – Altuzarra’s girls rocking a slick of the precious metal on their eyelids, with Ms Rocha’s models going bolder, with a splash of glittering gold on their foreheads;
And some of our favourite stars have been spied with the look too, including inner eyelid-loving Beyonce, matte regular matt shadow-flaunter Rihanna and highlighter, Lupita Nyong’o;
Are you looking to get into the bold gold trend? Well, here’s some of the top products we’ve found plus how to get Beyonce’s signature, bright, inner cornered look;
Get the Look
1. First, apply an eye makeup primer, plus your foundation and concealer as usual to your eye area – covering blemishes and dark circles as desired.
2. Next, using a metallic shadow, apply a light, bright gold to the inner corners of your eyes – both the upper and lower lids.
3. Then, using a dark brown shadow (matt or metallic), begin to create an upward sweeping shape to the outer corners of the eye, blending into the gold where they meet. Be sure to allow the colour to become heavier towards the outer corner and the crease of the eye.
4. Apply more gold to the inner corner of the eyelid, as well as blending into the brown slightly to create a gradual fade that is more potently gold in the inner corner.
5. For a more dramatic look, apply a wash of brown to the lower eyelid and/or an eyeliner on the inner lash lines.
6. Finish with mascara, et voila!
Simples. Show us your attempts on Instagram via @SPICETVAFRICA using the hashtag #BoldGold.
Image source: Style.mtv.com, Harpersbazaar.com, Becomegorgeous.com, Staging.punkyfish.com, Huffingtonpost.ca