With Halloween on the horizon and Autumn/Winter firmly upon us, the mood is shifting towards a deeper, darker, ‘vampier’ look, with the berry lip trend taking over pouts everywhere.
Originating from some of our favourite runways, the trend – deep berry hues on lips, as though stained on, rather than glossed – was spied on the ramp at DKNY’s Autumn/Winter’14 collection showcase, with models blowing us away with the grungy beauty look as they showed off the brand’s street-fused pieces;
And it’s not just on the runways we’ve been spying the trend, with the stars also on board with the look too – from model Joan Smalls and Rihanna’s deep plum lips and subtle smoky eyes, to Kerry Washington’s cherry pout and mini winged liner;
Get the Look
Wanting to rock this trend as part of your Halloween ensemble, or just dying to show it off day-to-day? Here’s how to it;
1. First, apply a foundation and a small amount of concealer under the eyes and to blemishes to create a flawless look.
2. Fill brows using a brow pencil and then brush through to keep them feathery for a natural finish.
3. If you’re going to go vampy with smoky eyeshadow, apply yours to the required effect (subtle or dramatic) using a brush, smudging with your finger tips for a carefree finish. Whether you’re using eyeshadow or not, do make sure to line the eyes using black or dark brown liquid liner; simply etch along your top lash line, flicking out at the corners to widen the eyes.
4. Complete the eyes with a wash of black or dark brown mascara. Apply 2 coats for a more dramatic look.
5. For the lips, use a burgundy or cherry lip pencil, colouring in all over the lips. Then, finish with a matching lipstick, applied over the top and then patted on with fingers to leave a stained effect.
Here’s some products we at SPICE recommend to recreate the trend;
And that’s it – all you need to know to get your on-trend look for the season or to put the finishing touches on your spooky looks this All Hallow’s Eve. Show us your attempts on Instagram via @SPICETVAFRICA and the hashtag #BerryLips.
Image source: Thegloss.com, Beautydosage.com, Fashiondailymag.com, Indyabeauty.com, Zimbio.com, Popsugar.com, Buttergrey.com