On a weekend of weddings that saw both PR professional Zara Okpara wed her beau Chinedu Odu and Beat FM host Toolz (aka Tolu Oniru) marry Tunde Demuren, we’ve had a lot of beauty to consider.
And, though both brides were blushingly beautiful (Zara in her white wedding gown, Toolz in her traditional ensemble), the guests also caught our eye, with Rita Dominic becoming our Beauty Spot of the week, for her glittery look at Toolz’ #TSquared2016 ceremony.
The look, worn to the traditional event in Oniru, Lagos, was befitting of the Nollywood starlet, and stood out with its blue shade contrasting and complimenting the day’s orange and peachy theme – Toolz’ bridal party wearing the hues via their gowns, together with colourful geles by Abeke Makeovers.
The eye colour was a saturation of glitter, smoked out with grey and black at the outer corners, finished with a perfectly smooth complexion and nude lips.
Get the Look
Whether you’re heading to a wedding, a party or planning to keep your date’s eyes locked on yours, we’d suggest this look and the following steps to achieve it.
1. First, prep clean, moisturised skin with a primer, which will hold makeup on for longer. We like Urban Decay’s “Chill Setting Spray” (£21, here) which cools the surface of the makeup you apply via time-release technology, for a longer lasting look.
2. Next, apply a concealer to the under eye area and the inner corner of the eyes where skin is dark. Prepare for colour application by leaving a thick layer of dusting powder under the eyes and along the top of your cheeks – this is to catch any eyeshadow and glitter may drop onto your face during application.
3. Apply an eyeshadow primer (we recommend Ciate’s, “Partner in Crime” primer, £16 here) and then begin to apply a metallic smokey eye to both lids. Start with the inner corner, using a light silvery-blue; for the middle of the lids, use a medium blue in the closest matching shade to your chosen glitter, blending the colour to just above the eye crease; finish with a grey metallic shadow, which should be blended at the outer corners, giving a slight winged effect up to just above the eye crease.
We recommend Shu Uemura’s shadow in “Soft Blue 655” £11 here, and Urban Decay’s “Moondust” shadow, £14 here.
4. Line the eyes along the top and bottom waterline, using a black kohl liner. We like Estee Lauder’s Double Wear Stay-in-Place liner in “Onyx”, (£16.50 here). Next, use a liquid liner to line along the top lash line, adding a cat-eyed flick.
5. Take your kohl pencil and deepen the shading at the outer corner of your lids, intensifying and finishing the smokey look by blending the pencil into the grey shadow.
6. When blended, take a liquid glitter liner (we like Urban Decay’s Heavy Metal Liner in “Amp”, £14 here) and wash over the top of the blue eyeshadow you’ve applied to the lids. Take another glitter liner in a silver shadow to wash over the inner corners (we like Urban Decay’s Heavy Metal Liner in “Glam Rock”, £14 here).
7. Once the desired coverage of glitter is applied to both eyes, touch up any areas where the shadow may have been lifted by the liner, applying the colour in a patting motion with your eyeshadow brush.
Then, take a large, clean complexion brush and lightly dust away all the excess shadow and glitter from the under eye area, which should have fallen into and been caught by your dusting powder on the top of your cheeks.
8. Complete the rest of your complexion (foundation, blusher) and brows as desired.
9. Moisturise exfoliated lips with a balm, then apply a neutral or natural lip colour. Team SPICE like Illamasqua’s lipstick in “Buff” (from £18.50, here).
10. Finish the look with a wash of mascara over the lashes, et voila.
Tell us what you think of Toolz’ wedding party looks below in the comments box, or where you’d be wearing Rita Dominic’s glittery shadow look, by tagging us online @SPICETVAFRICA.
Image source: Nigeriafilms.com, Lookfantastic.com, Niwibi.com, @Ritadominic, @Lisafolawiyo, Bellanaija.com