Award winning actress Lupita Nyong’o is a Kenyan-Mexican actress. Who began her career in Hollywood as a production assistant and made her movie debut in the short film East River, before moving back to Kenya to star in top African TV series Shuga. Lupita holds a bachelors degree in Film and Theater studies from Hampshire College and a Masters degree in Acting, from Yale’s school of Drama.
She is the first Kenyan woman to win an Academy Award. Asides from Lupita’s talent on screen, she is also loved for being true to her African roots, and her stance on societal beauty standards and girl power stance.
We give you some of our favorite quotes from Lupita Nyong’O.
- “You can’t eat beauty, it doesn’t feed you…beauty was not a thing that I could acquire or consume, it was something that I just had to be. You can’t rely on how you look to sustain you. What actually sustains us, what is fundamentally beautiful, is compassion–for yourself and for those around you. That kind of beauty inflames the heart and enchants the soul.”
- “No matter where you are from your dreams are valid.”
- “What I will say is that what I have learned for myself is that I don’t have to be anybody else; and that myself is good enough; and that when I am being true to that self, then I can avail myself to extraordinary things you have to allow for the impossible to be possible.”
- “You fail, and then what? Life goes on. It’s only when you risk failure that you discover things.”
- “Every time I overcome an obstacle, it feels like success. Sometimes the biggest ones are in our head – the saboteurs that tell us we can’t.”
- “We don’t get to pick the genes we want. There’s room in this world for beauty to be diverse.”
Quote source- Goodreads and azquotes.