Looking to hot up your beauty routine but find yourself in love with the classics? Well, we at SPICE suggest you look to the runways, where the smoky eye has been considered sexy since forever.
Makeup artists brought the much-loved smoky eye to Spring/Summer’15 ramps, with designers like Sonya Rykiel, Tom Ford, Diane von Furstenberg, Cushnie et Ochs, Tommy Hilfiger and even Chanel showing the look off on models;
Also on board with the timeless make up look, whether it was for award shows or their after parties, celebrities have been doing this trend to death;
Get the Look: Tom Ford’s Heavy Smoked Eye
Looking to get on board with the hottest makeup look of all time? Try Tom Ford’s dramatic smoky eye, for which makeup artist Charlotte Tilbury drew inspiration from ’70s-era rock and roll glamour to create a sexy, smudgy look, comprised of a clean complexion and a nude lip.
To nail it, just follow these five simple steps!
1. First, make sure to moisturise and prep skin with a hydrator and primer, before evening out the complexion with foundation and a concealer.
2. Next, instead of bronzing the skin for definition or adding a blusher, go for a stronger brow to frame the face, making sure to define the brow at the arches for a neat finish.
3. Moving on to the fun part – the sultry, smoked-out shadow – run an eyeliner pencil in black or brown along the top and bottom lash line, continuing the colour on the inner waterline. Next, take a matching hue of shadow and wash all over lids (we at SPICE love Tom Ford’s Eye Quad in “Titanium Smoke,” £63 here).
Smudge the look a little with fingers before going back to apply more shadow, this time winging the colour upwards at the outer corners and washing little shadow under the lower lashes.
4. Apply a few coats of your favourite mascara to give the lashes extra definition.
5. Lastly, as a finishing touch, try a nude lip colour (we like “Vanilla Suede,” £30 by Tom Ford, here) to allow the eyes to pop and to balance out the drama of your made-up lids. Alternatively, skip the lipstick and go for a non-colours lip balm.
Et voila – an on-trend eye look that’ll take you from day to night! Or why not try something more colourful and go for the ‘new’ smoky eye detailed here?
Whichever you decide, don’t forget to show us your attempts on Twitter or Instagram @SPICETVAFRICA – we’re dying to see how hot you look rocking it this Summer!
Image source: Zimbio.com, Popsugar.com, @Tokemakinwa, @Ekuedewor, Bergdorfgoodman.com, Selfridges.com